Phone: (702) 997-1029
Prescott Jones is a corporate and transactional attorney who leads the firm’s multi-state cannabis practice. Prescott has been involved in all aspects of cannabis law in Nevada since SB 374 was signed into law in 2013, including mergers and acquisitions, purchase and sale agreements, joint ventures, license transfers, regulatory issues involving the CCB and local governmental entities, zoning and land use issues, and licensing agreements. He also has significant experience advising clients, both cannabis and traditional entities, on a broad range of corporate and litigated matters including employment issues, entity formation, real estate (including commercial leases, commercial/industrial real estate transactions, and sale-leaseback agreements), appellate issues, insurance coverage, products liability, medical malpractice, premises liability, commercial litigation, personal injury, construction litigation, auto, common-interest community litigation, subrogation, and general liability litigation. Prescott prides himself on representing companies of all sizes, from large Multi-State Operators and eight-figure investors to small companies and individuals that are seeking their first license.
Additionally, as leader of the firm’s cannabis practice group, Prescott works with and trains the firm’s cannabis and corporate attorneys in California, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, and Texas.
Prescott regularly speaks on topics pertinent to the cannabis industry, including speaking on “Banking and Financing for the Marijuana Industry” at the Recreational Marijuana Business Law CLE in Las Vegas in 2018, and “Risk Transfer in the Cannabis Industry” in 2021.
Prescott is rated “AV Preeminent” by Martindale-Hubbell for Business Law, Construction Litigation, and General Civil Litigation. He is featured in the 2021 “Legal Elite” list of top attorneys by Nevada Business Magazine for his Corporate/Cannabis, General Civil Litigation, and Insurance Coverage practices. He was also selected as a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers in 2019.
While in law school, he served as a Publications Editor for the Buffalo Law Review, a Senior Member of the Buffalo Moot Court Board, and a Senior Associate Member of the Jessup Moot Court Board. He graduated from law school in the top quarter of his class and was admitted to the Nevada Bar the same year.
In his free time, Prescott is an avid hockey player and enjoys hiking at Red Rock Canyon.
Notable Speaking Engagements
• “Banking and Financing for the Marijuana Industry” at the Recreational Marijuana Business Law CLE in Las Vegas in 2018.
• “Risk Transfer in the Cannabis Industry” in 2021.
• “Impact of Consumer Electronics Data on Liability Claims” at the PLRB Regional Adjusters Conference in 2018.
• “Nevada Law and Strategy Overview” to various national insurance carriers, 2018-present.
• “From Getting a License to Opening Your Business; Step-by-Step – The Nevada Experience” to the Arizona Marijuana Industry Trade Association in 2021.
• “Navigating into the Post-Covid Work Environment” in 2020.
Published Nevada Supreme Court Opinions
• Patin v. Lee, 134 Nev. Adv. Rep. 87 (2018) (adopting California’s framework for determining if an allegedly defamatory statement is “made in direct connection with an issue under consideration by a . . . judicial body” in the context of an anti-SLAPP special motion to dismiss).
• Barrett v. Eighth Jud. Dist. Ct., 331 P.3d 892, 130 Nev. Adv. Rep. 65 (2014) (addressing whether Chapter 40 notices are required in litigation between a subcontractor and a supplier).
• Patin v. Lee, 394 P.3d 210 (2017) (determining that a notice of appeal cannot be effective when it is filed prior to entry of the appealed order).